The Second Annual Florida Surf Film Festival (FSFF) is a wrap, and the screening panelists and founders are pleased to announce the winners of the 2014 awards.
Photos: Friday Night Red Carpet photos by Christina Maldanado, Friday Night Around the Festival by Kris Kerr, Friday Night Social Shots by Verina Olivari, Saturday Night Red Carpet by Christina Maldanado, Saturday Night Around the Festival by Kris Kerr, and Saturday Night Social Shots by Verina Olivari are available through highlighted links.
“Our second year was truly amazing, not only with the spectacular lineup of films, but with the attendance of so many filmmakers and athletes, the addition of the Chris Burkard Photography Workshop, and an art show, it really elevated the event to the next level,” said Festival Director and Co-Founder, John Brooks. “We are excited about the partnerships we have created with the Atlantic Center for the Arts and our sponsors, and we look forward to continuing to grow the festival into a world class event.”
The 2014 festival kicked off Friday night with notable guests Joe G presenting Strange Rumblings in Shangri-la, and Albee Layer and Dan Norkunas presenting Attractive Distractions. During the day on Friday, FSFF featured a sold out photography workshop hosted by Chris Burkard, and on Saturday evening, he narrated a slide show of images from Cradle of Storms by Chris Burkard and Ben Weiland. Lauren Hill was on hand to present Beyond the Surface, along with filmmakers Donald Brink and Drew Miller with their films, StoryBoard and Surfer Saltado. The night culminated with local surfer Eric Geiselmen’s short film by Bree Kleintop, Grindy fun in Shark City, and Andrew Gesler and Alex DePhillipio closed out the festival with their comedic genius live and in person, presenting Death to Hipsters.
The screening panelists have entered their selections, along with our viewers’ choices. The awards are as follows:
- Best Documentary – Feature: Uncharted Waters; Producer & Director – Craig Griffin
- Best Cinematography – Feature: Strange Rumblings in Shangri La; Director – Joe G
- Best Soundtrack – Feature: Attractive Distractions; Producer – Take Shelter Productions; Director & Cinematographer – Dan Norkunas
- Viewers’ Choice – Feature: Attractive Distractions; Producer – Take Shelter Productions; Director & Cinematographer – Dan Norkunas
- Best Documentary – Short: The Cradle of Storms; Producer – Bryce Lowe-White; Director – Bryce Lowe-White & Ben Weiland; Cinematography – Chris Burkard & Ben Weiland
- Best Cinematography – Short: Arctic Swell; Producer – SmugMug; Cinematographer – Anton Lorimer & Photography – Chris Burkard
- Best Soundtrack – Short: De Passage; Director – Russell Brownley & Mark Tesi; Cinematography – Russell Brownley
- Viewers’ Choice – Short: Invasion; Producer & Director – Fred Berho & Thomas Larocca
Jurors for feature documentaries are Jamie Brisick, Matt Warshaw, Joe Turpel, and Richie Fitzgerald. Jurors for short documentaries are Marcus Sanders, Matt Pruett, Matt Kechele, Nick McGregor, and Bryan Forand.
We are proud to have Johnnie-O West Coast Preppy Clothing and Apparel Brand serve as our presenting sponsor for this year’s festival, providing travel and lodging for the filmmakers who attend the festival. They will feature products in the Mark and Margery Pabst Visitors Center and Gallery.
Clancy’s Cantina and Café Verde will serve as the festival’s official food sponsor, presented in the Whatmore Commons.
Other sponsors so far include Nixon Watches, Brian Layman Financial Services, Total Vision, Waterways Travel, Red Dog Surf Shop and Kembali, Get Salty, Surfrider Foundation(Volusia/Flagler Chapter). A silent auction featuring our sponsors’ products will be held in the Helene B. Roberson Dance Studio.
The Florida Surf Film Festival’s mission is to invigorate Florida surf culture through film appreciation and artistic expression by exhibiting contemporary films from filmmakers far and wide.
Press and Sponsorship Inquiries:
John Brooks, Festival Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Atlantic Center for the Arts is a nonprofit 501 (c)(3), interdisciplinary artists-in-residence community and arts education facility dedicated to promoting artistic excellence by providing talented artists an opportunity to work and collaborate with some of the world’s most distinguished contemporary artists in the fields of music composition and the visual, literary and performing arts. Community interaction is coordinated through on-site and outreach presentations, workshops and exhibitions.